School System Child Advocacy

Dr. Thompson also advocates with school administrative personnel and parents regarding children and adolescents who are exceptional children from general education and gifted to those with special needs to 504 plans (for example if your child has ADHD and needs accommodations in the classroom) to advocating for students who have special needs and has an Individualized Education Plan (i.e., an I.E.P.). See Figure 1 below:

Figure 1
The Difference Between
General Education Interventions, 504 Plans and I.E.P. Plans
IEP 504 Plans

She can advocate for the following cognitive, social or emotional disorders and helps advocate for parents who have children that need accommodations in the schools:

Figure 2
Advocating for All Children
School System Advocacy

She can also assist parents or guardians through this process of the evaluation of his or her child (please see Figure 3).

Figure 3
The I.E.P. versus the 504 Plan Process
IEP 504 Plans

Her experience in the public schools, helps parents or guardians work through the maze of understanding that they are entitled to a “free and appropriate education” for their exceptional child or adolescent. She worked with special education children and adolescents for 20 years in the public schools and she is a Diplomate and Clinical Mental Health Specialist in Child and Adolescent Counseling.